Over the past decade, the amount of job opportunities in innovation have dramatically increased. The future trends in technology not only impact everyone around us, but future job seekers as well. Let’s face it, today’s careers aren’t as black and white as they used to be due to the constant evolution of technology. The controversy is, however; does the future of technology create new jobs or eliminate them? No matter which way you look at it, technology is now the backbone of our future.
Let’s take a journey back to the 18th and 19th centuries, during the Industrial Revolution to be more specific, when advancements were made in production in order to eliminate labor such as the efficiency of water power, advancements in machine tools and railroads, or the progression to using coal instead of wood. As a result of these developments, jobs slowly dissipated, but simultaneously opened the door for new opportunities. The famous proverb, “history repeats itself,” is something that has always seemed to be proven true, and in this case it hits the nail on the head, the only difference now, is that we do not have as much time to adjust to new technologies as we did back then. More than ever, what areas are growing and which jobs are being created as a result of this swarm of technology trends?
- Mobile: Mobile and software development are huge right now- the growth in the mobile segment alone has generated a substantial amount of opportunities, including application and software developers and individuals with a specialization in coding, HTML, or Java Script. In 2017, there will be 5 billion smartphones. Through these roles, they will be constantly looking for more ways to connect with people.
- Social Media—social media continues to dominate in all aspects, especially now in our workplace as many hiring managers review candidates LinkedIn or Facebook Profiles prior to interviewing. Brands and businesses continue to mingle and connect with their target audience via social media which is why so many positions of social media managers have been created as well as the continuous growth of the Marketing Department.
- Visual Communication will become the primary means of communication for employees through the use of tablets, smartphones, and laptops in order to best reach our employers, clients, and family—this will cause a huge expansion in the IT Department.
- Automation: Let’s face it, Siri is here to stay, so be prepared as these robotic voice communicators begin to take over part of our daily routine. Before you begin to worry that your job might be at stake, this upgrade will create many new positions ranging from installation, software programming and development, and design.
- 3-D Web: Graphic designers, artists, and programmers will be sure to have their work cut out for them as they prepare for a completely new way of how we view the internet, that’s right, 3-D Web.
These are just a few of the drivers of innovation resulting in employment—now is the time to identify your skillset and take the time to prepare for the future!